- Article 1. Name of Organization
- Article 2. Objectives and Purpose
- Article 3. Membership
- Article 4. Annual Business Meeting
- Article 5. Of the members of the Steering Committee, Auditors and the Steering Committee
- Article 6. President, Vice president and Honorary member
- Article 7. Secretary General
- Article 8. Change to the Bylaws
- Supplementary Rules
Article 1. Name of Organization
This organization shall be named in English Man-Environment Research Association (Abbreviated as MERA).
Article 2. Objectives and Purpose
The objectives of this organization shall be to advance interdisciplinary studies relating to environmental design and human behavior based on theoretical and practical grounds: And also to engage in research pertaining to Human and Environmental sciences by means of affiliation with foreign research associations related to environment-behavior studies. This organization shall engage the following activities as a means of fulfilling the objectives and purpose heretofore set forth:
- To organize research meetings.
- To publish informative documents and scientific journals consisting of research contributed by the members.
- To contact research associations and relevant organizations within Japan and abroad.
- To conduct business appropriate to the objectives of this association.
Article 3. Membership
This organization shall have membership of the following four categories.
- Full members: Individuals who submitted application form to the business office with endorsements of two full members and are approved by the steering committee shall be full members. Doctoral course students, or students with similar research experience, shall be qualified as full members.
- Student members: Students enrolled in graduate and post-graduate studies course in the related specialities shall be qualified to join as student members. Application and approval process shall be the same as full members.
- Supporting members: Individuals or corporates who are willing to support this organization’s activities are qualified to be supporting members.
- Honorary members: Honorary members will be recommended by the steering committee.
Members shall receive the materials published by this organization, and also shall attend various activities of this organization. Members shall be obliged to pay the membership fee. Failure to pay said fee shall cause loss of membership.
Article 4. Annual Business Meeting
The president shall call for an annual business meeting and additional special business meetings in accordance with the sanction established by the steering committee. In order for any decision or resolution to be adopted, a simple majority of full members in attendance (50% or more – proxies included) will be necessary. The changing of bylaws shall require a simple majority (50% or more of the current full members – proxies included), as well as a two-thirds majority vote of those full members in attendance at the annual business meeting.
Article 5. Of the members of the Steering Committee, Auditors and the Steering Committee
An appropriate number of members of the Steering Committee, and Auditors shall be elected in this organization. The member of the steering committee shall attend the meeting of steering committee and shall execute business activities of this organization. Auditors will execute auditing of the organization. The term of the member of steering committee and auditor shall be 2 years, and shall be elected for the following term, but a member who has served two consecutive terms shall not be eligible for re-election. The President shall call the meeting of steering committee in cases where deemed necessary. The president shall be obliged to call special steering committee meetings upon request of two-thirds of the members. Election procedures for steering committee membership and auditors shall be decided by a separate procedure.
Article 6. President, Vice president and Honorary member
A President shall be elected for this organization. The term of the president shall be 2 years. The president shall represent this organization and shall preside over the organization. Vice president shall be elected for this organization. The Vice president shall assist the President and shall attend the meeting of steering committee. The President and Vice president shall be elected among the members of steering committee. The steering committee members also shall make recommendations for honorary members.
Article 7. Secretary General
A Secretary General shall be appointed for this organization. The secretary general shall be commissioned by the steering committee. Secretary general shall deal with business matters for the steering committee. Secretary general shall attend the steering committee meeting.
Article 8. Change to the Bylaws
Amendment of bylaws of this organization shall be initiated by the steering committee or a signed petition of one-third of the current full members. The procedure of changes to the bylaws shall follow Article 4. This procedure shall also apply to the change of supplementary and customary rules.
- The steering committee shall decide the location of business office.
- The laws of this organization shall take effect May 13, 1996.
- The membership fee shall be decided by the business meeting.